Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

Reply To: Herbal Therapeutics

Home Forums Online Herbalism Programs Herbal Therapeutics Reply To: Herbal Therapeutics

Deborah Shewchuk
Participant

Hello! Reading back through the thread I would like to give a big THANK YOU! for all the previous responses to questions 🙂

Currently I am dealing with poison ivy and have been experimenting topically with Avena, Plantain, Cinnamon e.o., Mint e.o., Lavender e.o., Witch hazel, Yarrow infused witch hazel… Balsam poplar (although I wouldn’t recommend this as it healed in what needed to weep) I did see some jewelweed on the walk where I was exposed but wasn’t sure that I would be effected, or what part to harvest, and besides it was in a park so I left it alone. My results are okay but not awesome, more of the rash appears as the days go on and it is very itchy and unsightly.

I’m thinking I would like to try to create internal and external preparations but wonder if anyone has any experience or advice for what herbs. I’ll give my rational and an example of what it might look like, but again if there is advice, please. I’m better at ideas then nailing down a plan and sticking with it.

External: Topically, an a stringent compress made with a Tilia, Rose & Rosemary infused apple cider vinegar or witch hazel. Afterward I’m looking for a strong anti-inflammatory & anti-oxidant, perhaps a turmeric and black pepper liniment, although it is warming on an already hot condition. Plantain so far hasn’t worked as well as I’d like (it does so well on water blisters which look similar.) Maybe aloe to cool it. The mint e.o. feels good before bed so I will continue that. And in Avena Lavender baths, I was thinking inner willow bark would be astringent and anti-inflammatory and worth trying as a compress or in the bath.

Internal: Anti-histmine, Anti-inflammatory, Nervine, and an immune-modulating herb -is Echinacea too stimulating for an already active immune system, or could it modulate? Would Reishi be a better choice? I have Reishi tincture and dried Echinacea root on hand.

Nervine Tea to sooth mind and inflammation:
• Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) – 5 g
• Nettle leaf (Urtica dioica) – 5 g
• Oat seed/straw (Avena sativa) –5 g
• Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) – 5 g (Would Goldenrod for another anti-histmine be better here? It might make the blend taste bad)
• Rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis) –5 g

Tincture
• Reishi or Echinacea for the bulk of the formula
• Catmint- Nepeta cateria and/or Avena for nervine action
• Nettle – for anti-histamine
• Hawthorne- for anti-inflam and anti-oxidant

I’d still need to work out the exact amounts. Am I on the right track, or is there something tried and true that would work better?

Thanks so much for being there 🙂