Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in excerpt
Filter by Custom Post Type
>>>Reply To: Wild Medicinals/Plant ID
Reply To: Wild Medicinals/Plant ID2020-05-25T12:03:20-07:00

Home Forums Online Herbalism Programs Wild Medicinals/Plant ID Reply To: Wild Medicinals/Plant ID

Liza
Keymaster

Hi Deborah,

You brought up a bunch of excellent questions here. Accurate plant ID is not easy, and it will take many years to build confidence! However, the more you do it, the easier it will be to identify leaf shapes, venation patterns, etc.

So, when I’m going about IDing a plant, I usually use a combination of sources. I sometimes begin with an app or book, and then double-check that with another book or other online sources. Please do not ever trust just the app, it can be misleading, as you’ve seen.

A really great way to help with your plant ID skills is to go out with a local herbalist or botanist, who can help you.

For the Hyptis sauveolens, I believe I used a combination of sources and then crossed referenced it with the information on the site I sent you, which discussed its leaf arrangement, growing distribution. I cannot say I am positive this is what it is, especially since I couldn’t see the actual plant, but this is where the research led me.

I’m going to forward this question over to Amanda, and she can address this during her virtual classroom on Wednesday, please tune in if you’re available!

For your question about elder, as seen in the elder monograph, Sambucus canadensis is another Latin name for Black Elder (Sambucus nigra). So, the flowers of Sambucus canadensis will have a flat top.

Thanks so much for reaching out about this! These questions are relevant to everyone.