Course 8 | Herbal Body Products & Gift Making
Create a collection of handmade, herbal-infused personal & household products of your very own, and/or to gift to your loved ones.
Meet your course instructor
Dr. Marisa Marciano | ND, RH (AHG)
Dr. Marisa Marciano is a Naturopathic Doctor & Registered Herbalist (AHG) with expertise in both the education and clinical applications of therapeutic nutrition & phytotherapy. Her educational background includes an undergraduate degree in Kinesiology and post-degree medical training from the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine where she is currently both a clinical and faculty member, as well as Chair of the Department of Botanical Medicine. Dr. Marciano is also the co-author of "The Botanical Medicine Manual: A Quick Reference Evidence Based Guide”, and is widely recognized for creating the celebrated online herbal resource www.TheNaturopathicHerbalist.com, both of which intend to serve as relevant and reliable sources of botanical information for both students and clinicians. For nearly a decade she has maintained a private clinical practice focused on the custom formulation of herbal therapies using an individualized and primarily evidence-based approach aimed at integrating the safe use of herbs alongside diet, lifestyle, and conventional pharmaceutical therapies, while continually encouraging the holistic perspectives inherent to herbalism and deep respect for the healing powers of Nature within her patients. Alongside her clinical practice, she regularly conducts herbal medicine making workshops in Vancouver, BC, aimed at fostering a deeper connection between people & plants. Her approach to wellness emphasizes the use of techniques which are inherently in tune with Nature, believing in the body’s innate capacity to heal when provided with the ancient knowledge & foundational therapeutic potential of plant medicine in all its forms.
Plants have given millions of people immense pleasure through beautification and gift-giving for millennia. This course aims to weave our current understanding of the medicinal properties of plants with the traditions of medicine-making to enhance our sensory experiences with plants while creating a beautiful selection of handmade herbal products.
This course is meant to educate and inspire every level of herbalist to create their own array of personal and household products, using all-natural ingredients alongside a selection of some of the most versatile and pleasurable plants right from your kitchen or home. Though the potential list of recipes could be endless, we want to provide you a set of easily adaptable recipes. Our intention is to offer you a strategic structure to follow so you can develop the basic skills and knowledge required to create a line of herbal gifts and products for your own needs and unique desires.
The use of plants in personal care and beauty products dates as far back as ancient Egypt with the discovery of essential oils and later other ingredients such as flowers, powders, fruit seeds, and oils, all of which were recognized for their nourishing and healing properties. However, within the last century, many natural ingredients have been replaced by synthetic ones, some of which are now known as potentially toxic substances. As such, there is an increasingly high demand to return to natural plant ingredients.
Follow along as we create full recipes together! All ingredients are meant to be easily sourced and require only equipment readily found in your kitchen, and all of the recipes are easily adapted and customizable to your personal needs and preferences.
Upon completion of this course, the successful student will have the ability to:
- Prepare a kitchen space with the necessary ingredients, supplies, and hygienic measures for the creation and preservation of a variety of household and personal care herbal products.
- Create a fully customizable line of herbal-infused skin and body care products including facial serums, cleansers, toners, lotions, sun protectants, clay masks, baths, deodorants, and salt scrubs.
- Create a fully customizable line of herbal household products such as soaps and aromatic room sprays.
- Effectively infuse the medicinal properties of a plant into a selection of solvents including fats, oils, waters, and hydrosols.
- Understand the differences between various fixed and essential oils, and be able to choose ideal options for a variety of skin types and preparation methods.
- Better understand rancidity and the effectiveness of “natural” methods of product preservation.
- Glean a variety of tips and tricks for fun and effective medicine making, and be able to troubleshoot common concerns that can arise during the production of herbal products.
- Deepen your understanding of the medicinal properties of a selection of herbs that make ideal choices in the preparation of personal and household products that can be incorporated into a self-care routine, sold in markets, or given as gifts.
Section I | Welcome
2. Course outline
Section II | Getting started
3. Supplies & equipment
Section III | Herbal infused oils
4. Herbal oils introduction
5. Calendula Infused Oil
6. Calendula Facial Serum
7. Gotu Kola & Green Tea Oil
8. Comfrey Infused Oil
Section IV | Herbal salves
9. Basic Wound Healing Salve
10. Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm
11. Yarrow Infused Deodorant
Section V | Water infusions & aromatics
12. Clarifying Face Toner
13. Room and Body Sprays
14. Herbal Baths
Section VI | Creams, cleansers & lotions
15. Basic Facial Cleanser
16. Basic Facial Lotion
17. Herbal Sun Protectant
Section VII | Herbal body care
18. Clay Mask
19. Facial/Body Scrub
20. Herbal Soaps